Friday, January 27, 2012

Avoiding Punishment

My boys have two very different strategies when it comes to taking avoiding punishments. 


Garrett is the dramatic one.  There is a movie they watch where the lion is running away from people who are shooting at him, and the whole time he is running in zig zags yelling, "Serpentine, Serpentine!"  That's Garrett.  When is is getting in trouble, there is lots of crying, wailing, flailing of arms, running in circles...(sometimes done by Garrett, other times by me.)


Tripp is the psychologist.  He wasn't always that way, but he has never been a crier.  When he was about 18months old, he was fixing to get into trouble, and he very plainly told me, "I not cry mom."  Then he moved to a different strategy.  While I was at eye level explaining why he was in trouble he would start trying to kiss my lips, so I couldn't speak.  He would say over and over, "I love you, mom, shhh, I am kissing you, shhh."  That has now morphed into his new Jedi psychology.  Now when he gets into trouble he very calmly starts informing me, "Mom, you not mad, you happy.  Mom, remember, you proud of me you not mad.  You love me mom. You happy, not mad."  That is about the time when a) I start smiling laughing, and he says, "See you are happy mom!"  or b) I have to bite my lips and tell myself "Remember, you are mad.  He just...(colored on wall, poured milk on floor on purpose, bit brother...)" 


I am sure they will only get easier...


(Pictures are from rodeo day at school this week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment