Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rock Climbing

Garrett always loves the rock climbing walls at playgrounds, and has been asking to do the "real" one at our zoo for some time now.  I have told him in the past he could do it, but there hasn't been anyone there working it, so he hasn't ever gotten the chance.  This past week, he was finally able to make his dream come true, and $3.00 later he was buckled up and ready to go. 

Getting the harness on

Tripp holding Tommy.  Tommy is Garrett's class pet, who has spent the last week at our house. 

Watching Garrett go.

Getting started.

Way up there.

Happy at the top.

He actually made it to the top really fast, I was impressed, but the problem arose when the worker told him to just let go and fall.  In Garrett's mind the guy just told him to let go and plummet to your death here on the concrete.  There was no way he was coming down.  So I asked the guy what they do when the kids won't let go, he answered me, "Their legs and arms usually give out after about 5-10 minutes and they fall."

You want me to do what...

Headed down. (Very slowly!!)

Almost there...

Not the answer this mom wanted so I asked if he would let me go up and get him, and he answered, "Sure, you will have to give me $3.00 and fill out the release form first."

Again not the a great answer.  Finally he asked if I wanted him to go up and get him down, and I nicely (while rolling my eyes in my head and shouting, duh) told him that I would greatly appreciate it.  Moments later Garrett was slowly descending down off the wall.

At least he had a great time.  Garrett kept talking about how much fun it was, how next time he would let go since he now knew he wouldn't die, and he couldn't get over how shaky his legs were.  He is already trying to talk Cody into going real rock climbing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment